Monday, June 20, 2011

Potomac Fever

So there's this thing out here that the locals call "Potomac Fever." Basically, it refers to the excitement that tourists and new Washingtonians feel when they spend time out here. I've been here for exactly one month, and I definitely still have that feeling.

On my way to work, I can see the Washington Monument towering above the buildings. I see Marine One on a regular basis (pretty sure the President travels by helicopter more than motorcades). I live in walking distance from a ton of amazing things including the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, White House, Vietnam Memorial, WWII memorial, Jefferson Memorial, the Smithsonian, etc. Everything is so close here! If my boss clears it, I get to go on a White House tour on Thursday!!! I cannot wait!! :)


The Capitol


Quality time with President Lincoln


Washington Monument

My favorite :)

I visited the Holocaust Museum last week, and it was such a powerful experience. I've learned about the Holocaust, Hitler, and the Nazis in history class back in high school but nothing compares to witnessing this stuff. For me, the most powerful exhibit was a huge heap of the shoes of the victims that were removed before they were sent to the crematorium. You could still smell the leather, and I started thinking of the people who once wore those shoes... It still gives me goosebumps. Millions of people died. I can't believe there is so much hatred out there.

On a lighter note, my favorite museum so far has been the Newseum. It's a huge 6 story building that contains exhibits of the major news stories of the past century. There was a Hurricane Katrina exhibit with some of the graffitied plywood that people posted to scare looters away. The 9/11 exhibit meant a lot to me- they had the antennae on display that used to be on the top of one of the World Trade Center Towers. I really liked the President's Photographer exhibit which included great candid photos of past presidents. The pulitzer photographs were also great to see. I even got to be a reporter for a minute as a "White House correspondent"- woo teleprompters. I love the news, and part of me still wants to be a news reporter so I definitely geeked out a bit.


This was on top of the WTC

Funny at first- then the reality sinks in- Hurricane Katrina

Loved being a White House Reporter

I can't believe my internship is almost half way over. It's such a whirlwind. The projects pile up, my Outlook is always blowing up with e-mails, etc. I really do love this city though. I need to find a job here after law school. Maybe even next summer- but it needs to be paid because it sucks being low on $$$! Working for a place that pays some interns but not all is ridiculous, but that's for another blog/rant.

Whenever the locals say that this "Potomac fever" eventually fades, I think it's sad. Why would you live in a city you're not excited about? It's so cool leaving every morning wondering what exciting thing might happen today. You never know in this city. With so many young 20-somethings in such close proximity, there's always something fun going on ;) Living it up this summer.

Love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment