Monday, June 13, 2011

Life Moves Pretty Fast...

I can NOT believe that I've been here for over 4 weeks! I'm already almost to the halfway point. I feel like time flies by, and there aren't enough hours in a day. I wake up at 6:30, get to work by 8, and next thing I know it's 5pm and time to go home. I guess this is the real world- wake up, work, eat, sleep, repeat.

I enjoy my job so far. I feel like I never get a second of downtime though. As soon as I'm done with one thing, another project gets piled on. Usually, I'm juggling about 3 projects at once. Prioritizing is a must! I go to a few meetings but half the time I don't comprehend much. Here is a sample convo: "We need to reset the GDP values in BFEM, adding a few D&CP and OCO accounts for H and A. The DAS wants an instant-rackup and we need to coordinate it with GFMS." Say what? Well I actually understood that one but still I seriously need a freaking handheld glossary most of the time! Damn acronyms.

Last weekend was cool. I finally got to go out and experience DC nightlife. Happy hours usually turn into nights out in this city. I explored the city a lot this weekend, including getting lost A LOT!! Let me explain something about the street layouts here... There are quadrants AKA the same exact intersection can be at multiple points in the city. I went to go get my intern wristband for "intern appreciation week" and had to walk about 3 miles through the "hood." I'm not even kidding. People thought Tucson was sketch. I'm walking down the street in 98 degree 80% humidity weather trying to work my useless GPS on my blackberry and I hear a bunch of sirens. All of a sudden, about 20 cop cars start racing down the street with huge armored SWAT cars that looked like tanks. At first, I thought it was a motorcade but no high-ranked official travels with the SWAT team. It was insanity. I eventually found the building after an hour of panicking, but it was an adventure all right.

I went to the International Spy Museum which was interesting. The National Museum of American History was one of my favorites. It's amazing to see all of this super old stuff like George Washington's uniform, Lincoln's hat, etc.

I did have to cut my visit short though. Family emergencies are terrifying. Nothing like hearing about an "accident" when you're across the country. Luckily, everyone's ok but it was a serious reality check. It sucks being helpless and 3000 miles away. Life is too short. A lot of things are unexpected, and you never know what might happen tomorrow. Ok, that was definitely a downer but there's a lesson there. I'm really trying to live every day to the fullest and always tell my family and friends that I love them.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why we call it the 'present'."

No comments:

Post a Comment