Monday, June 6, 2011

New Experiences

Hello all! This is my first ever official blog and I thought it would be fun to keep track of my summer adventures. I'm living in our nation's capital, Washington DC, for 10 whole weeks this summer :) I can't believe I've already been out here for two of those weeks.

This city is amazing. I can really see myself living here after law school. I can't begin to describe how different it is from home. Instead of a suburban lifestyle filled with sprawling golf courses and resorts, I'm living an urban life with public transit, high-rises, densely packed buildings, and gridlock traffic 24/7. Walking is also the norm here (because of the gridlock) and it's great to get so much fresh air. DC is full of energy. Scottsdale and Tucson are sleeper towns in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about AZ! Washington, on the other hand, still has its magic.

It's a big city lifestyle, but it's still not New York City or even Chicago. There's no other place in the world where you have rivers, forests, hiking trails, skyscrapers, and monuments in such close proximity to eachother. That's probably what I love the most- the diversity of everything (lifestyles, cultures, people). I've come to learn that I've been living in my own little bubble the past few years. There are A LOT of different people in this world.

I love my internship. It's cool to actually have an impact on something that will affect people across the nation- the budget. Sure, I'm a bit of an accounting nerd... But when you actually see the huge amounts in different accounts/agencies, it's mind-blowing. It's not exactly in my career path but the connections are endless. In this city, it's more about who you know over what you know. A very sad but true fact. Lobbying is my ultimate dream. I'm can't wait for the Capitol Tours/ budget briefings on the Hill- that's really where my passion lies.

The past two weeks have been a whirlwind. Work is constant chaos which is stressful but great. My favorite part of the day is my walk to work, the hustle and bustle. Everyone is in business clothes (I melt for a guy in a suit) and rushing to work. I usually throw on my flats, head out the door, and rock out to my DC Itunes playlist- yes I made one!

I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of the city. I have yet to meet a solid group of friends here, but that always takes time. Honestly, I've enjoyed my alone time. More than anything, this experience has taught me how to be independent. I explored the city entirely on my own last weekend and guess what? I didn't hate it! I still miss my friends and family SO much though. I can't wait for two of my closest friends/sisters to come visit me for the 4th of July (shoutout to Dana and Linda)!

That's pretty much all I have to say right now haha. Skype me!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment