Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Life Lessons

This will probably be my final DC post :( This summer has hands down been the best summer of my life! I've met incredible people, had amazing experiences, and made memories that will last a lifetime. Here are some lessons I learned during my first summer living on my own:

1. Network, Network, Network: This skill is not to be underestimated. Networking is huge here, and probably everywhere. Personally, I'm not the strongest at networking. I think you can easily come across as being fake, and I hate that. I've met my fair share of people this summer that are OBSESSED with networking and I really want to punch them in the face. People see through you. You don't need a connection for everything. Relax. This summer I've "networked" successfully on multiple occasions with all sorts of people. If you think about it like making new friends, it's a lot easier than when you focus on impressing future employers. There's a lot of really awesome people out there, you just need to open your eyes. Just be real about it.

2. If you want something, ask for it: I went on a White House tour, met the CFO, and recieved awesome recommendations because I wasn't afraid to open my mouth and ask for it. People are generally pretty nice and willing to help. You just have to put yourself out there and let people know what you want.

3. Don't send mass e-mails: These things are really annoying. I was asked to send a few, and I cringed. No one wants to read these stupid messages that are sent to the entire office unless they're life-changing (which is usually not the case). This also relates to the reply-all function. Don't do it- it can lead to an e-mail "storm" and a freeze of the entire system, no bueno.

4. Don't be a b*#ch: Self-explanatory. I was told a story about a woman who constantly disrespected people. Eventually, she had a job interview with the very person that she previously treated like crap. Needless to say, she didn't get the job. You really never know who you might come in contact with again. At least be nice about it.

5. Spontaneity is the spice of life: I was spontaneous this summer on multiple levels. I moved away from my friends and family across the country to a city where I knew no one. It was epic! I mentioned this before, but I never would have done this a few years ago. I'm still the kind of person that likes to plan everything. Sometimes the most interesting things in life are unplanned. I'll never forget my all-nighter, monuments at sunrise, random happy hours, and late nights with friends. Everyone needs to let loose once in awhile.

6. Be friendly but not too friendly: High school never ends. AKA there's always drama and it doesn't end in the working world. Everyone knows everyone's business. Be on a "need to know basis," unless you want everyone to know every detail of your personal life.

7. Be flexible: My office is super ambiguous. Half the time I had no idea what was expected of me but I ran with it. A lot of places are like that, and you have to go with the flow. As a very type-A person, I struggled with this a lot at first. Adaptability is key. There's always the go-getter, slacker, scatter-brain, sweetheart, player, nerd, b*tch, clown, and bully. How will you fit in to the dynamic?

8. Dress the part: Ok, here's what's up ladies and gents. Stop dressing like sluts and gangstas. Seriously. I mentioned this before in my TIM entry. Going out attire does not equal work attire. To my sisters, clothes that may fly in chapter don't work in the working world. Let me explain... In my experience, I was often the only female in the room. Men don't take women seriously if they're dressed like they are going out on the town. My skirts were usually an inch or two above the knee and I felt uncomfortable at times. Do you want colleagues to like you for your work or your body? Come on now. This goes for guys as well. Sneakers don't work with dress pants, tuck in your shirt, and wear clothes that fit. I saw a guy with a Toy Story backpack today. Funny, yes. Professional, no. If you want to act the part, look the part.

9. Don't talk sh*t: I can't even begin to tell you how many times I was talking about someone to have them show up behind me. The walls have ears. Even if you think you're safe, chances are someone around knows the person you're trash talking. No matter how annoying someone is, keep it to yourself. Maybe they'll be your boss someday....

10: Have FUN: I've had a blast this summer!! Even with the 40 hour work weeks (unpaid=slavery), I've still managed to learn a lot while enjoying every minute of it. In the words of Ferris Bueller, "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you could miss it."

DC really has a special place in my heart, and hopefully, I'll make it back here someday. Thanks to everyone who made the past 10 weeks remarkable!!! <3



Still my favorite building :)

No comments:

Post a Comment